LyCon

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Renegade007
First Name: Doc
Last Name: Bailey
City or Town: Deland
State or Province: Florida

Re: LyCon

Post by Renegade007 »

I have an 0-235 C2C engine with 42 hours on her since Major overhaul.. Firewall forward. It would be a good engine for a building experimental bird like this one. It has everything engine mount forward and ready to fly. We have it in a Pitts S1C we are hanging a new AEIO-233 fully aerobatic engine on it.

Doc

JimParker256
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Parker
City or Town: Farmersville
State or Province: TX

Lycoming O320-E2G for sale

Post by JimParker256 »

A guy on the Grumman Gang (Tiger / Cheetah / Traveler / etc.) forum just posted this engine for sale yesterday (11/13/2014). Too much engine for me (I plan to build an LSA-compliant Panther) but it could be a great engine for someone's project. The folks at LyCon (not Lycoming, but LyCon - the engine rebuilders) have a stellar reputation for their rebuilds, and get a good bit of additional HP from the engines by flow porting the heads and weight-balancing all the components. They tend to run smooth and cool. Anyway, here's the listing info:

O320-E2G For Sale:

Still looking for a good home for a "ZERO" time O320 that was overhauled by LyCon. It has all the bells and whistles. The seller has over $22,000 invested in the engine. He just wants to recoup his money. High compression (8.5:1). Ported and polished. Crankcase "O" ringed to prevent oil leaks. Intake sump ported, polished, and flow matched to the cylinders. Custom carb set up for cylinders, sump, and a Power Flow Exhaust. Different Cam. Test run at 182 hp and 360 lb-ft of torque. Painted a metallic burn orange. If interested, contact Gary at (530) 613-6488
Jim Parker
Rans S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Panther / Cougar - someday?

jcar
First Name: John
Last Name: Car
City or Town: Fort mill
State or Province: SC

Post by jcar »

anyone consider the YIO-233 lycoming light sport engine? http://www.ultralightflyer.com/lycoming ... engine.htm

muehlberg
First Name: S. Eric
Last Name: Muehlberg
City or Town: Newcastle (OKC)
State or Province: Oklahoma

Post by muehlberg »

I'm putting an O-235 C1B (conical mount) on S/N11. It appears to be the best combination of reliabilty, cost, weight, and horsepower to me. But I've flown a lot of hours behind them, so I'm a bit bias.

S. Eric Muehlberg :D

vintageaero
First Name: randall
Last Name: mcgavock
City or Town: camp verde
State or Province: arizona

Post by vintageaero »

Has the O-235 been considered as a possible engine for the LSA Panther?

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Not any airworthiness concerns as long as the pilot ad hears to speeds and useful load parameters. The 0-320 is the heaviest of the engines and eats into the gross weight limits of 1115 lbs. especially if you use the dynafocal version.

Rachel

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

>>>1st The panther LS (sport pilot,LSA, long wing ) is not approved for 0-320 engines or engines in this class .

Dan

When you mentioned that the LSA Panther is not approved for the O-320 you mean that it will no longer be LSA compliant correct? Any airworthiness problems associated with building the long wing Panther with an O-320?

Thanks

Rick Holland
Rick Holland
N6819Z

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Here are the Lycoming Specs courtesy of Mike Smith. Thanks Mike!
Lycoming 0-235 Specifications.pdf
Lycoming 0-320 Specifications.pdf
Lycoming 0-360 Specifications.pdf
Lycoming Aircraft Application List.pdf
Lycoming Model Configuration.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Docs thanks for the input. I few quick points .
1st The panther LS (sport pilot,LSA, long wing ) is not approved for 0-320 engines or engines in this class . Due to the Panthers exceptional performance, we are continually questioned about LSA compliance. LSA compliance is plausible and documentable with 130 hp , but above this it is not(by the letter or spirit of the rules) It is(PAntherLS) designed for 80-130 hp and about 250 lbs engines.The Panther Sport (shortwing) can be set up for engine from 80 -160 hp and up to about 320 lbs total INSTALLED fwfwd weight. the Sport was designed to accept the very lightest 0-320s ,the narrow deck conical mounted early 0-320s and a light wood prop. the first "sport" builder Bob Woolley found a good deal on a wide deck dynofocal #1 (30 degree) engine and decided to use it. This engine and mount will weight almost 20 lbs heavier than a early conical mount narrow deck.I am building his mount but he understands he will need a larger battery in the tail to compensate.The big misconception it that the "dyno 1 " engines will be "smoother". This is true only if running a heavy metal,or constant speed propeller ,neither of which are approved for the Panther.The conical mount and dyno mounts are equally smooth with light wood props.(the lust for dyno mounts is rooted in the Vans RV world where the dyno mount means it is likely a newer vintage engine ,and also many are using metal and CS props)
The "universal" cowl fits ANY 0-320,0-290,0-235,0-233,0-200, UL 350etc. We highly recommend conical mounts!!! We will sell Dyno #1 mounts but it will be noted "not approved for dyno #1 -0320" on invoice. The 0-233 with dyno 1 is fine.
If you are looking for a 0-320 for a SPORT (short wing) a older conical narrow deck 0-320 will be a excellent value. If looking new Call SPA we have the BEST prices on Kit and Assembled, roller cam, cold air inducted Superior engines ( and parts like cylinder kits etc) you will find. (we can beat any price ,...I think)
The 0-233 and the AEIO 233 by renegade light sport are beautiful engines, its claims of sub 220 lbs is impressive! I hope to have a chance to weigh one some day for some data. Hope this helps some Dan
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

Renegade007
First Name: Doc
Last Name: Bailey
City or Town: Deland
State or Province: Florida

Post by Renegade007 »

Just a word of advice. if you make the mount for the engine Dynafocal 30 degree mount not 18 degree mount... One can buy this mount in the Spruce Aircraft Catalogue for the 152 Cessna it will also fit the AEIO and the IO -233 as well. It will also meet up at the same length etc. for the cowlings to be used for both applications of the 233 and 320 engines versions.

Just FYI The flyable weight from the AEIO -233 is significantly less weight than a straight 0-320 it's only 210 lbs. dry. The 320 is much heavier and at present with a Vetterman cross tube 1 1/2 inch stainless steel exhaust and the Precision air motive fuel injection system we have Dyno results from this engine setup is 124hp. The AEIO 233 has a 320 crank in it it's been beefed up for the rigors of Aerobatic flight...

Doc

Doc Bailey