Tool Suggestions/Sale

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
WarrenDe
First Name: Deon
Last Name: Warren
City or Town: Seattle
State or Province: Washington

Re: Tool Suggestions/Sale

Post by WarrenDe »

Lowride3r wrote:Not everyone has good results with HF puller. I went thru 2 that are now under the bench for parts, if needed. I ended up using the Campbell Hausfield that I borrowed from an RV12 builder and it never gave me any problems. Oh, and the one from the RV builder was free for the asking.
I just got mine. Great tool!

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

I have been using a tool that others might find useful. Malco makes a folding bar, model number 24F (they also make shorter ones, but I don't have the numbers for them). This one is 24" long. It has a 1" slot on one end, and a 3/8" one on the other. I used the 1" slot to tweak the angles on my fuselage bulkheads. I layed each bulkhead on a flat surface with the angle facing up. Insert the folding bar, press down hard, and bend the angle you need. What's nice about the bar is it does the hole flange, so you don't have to work your way down the bulkhead. The results are a clean uniform bend down the whole flange. What's also nice is unlike a brake, you can take an angle back out. It's kind of like a poor man's brake. I also used it to bend the angles at the forward end of the tail cone sides and bottom sheets. You must put the bend line on the edge of the table and clamp a straight edge (I used a 48" level) across the top to do this. I also used 2 folding bars on the bottom sheet because it is over 24" wide. The folding bar is available at HVAC supply houses, or on ebay for less than $35.

Glen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

Not everyone has good results with HF puller. I went thru 2 that are now under the bench for parts, if needed. I ended up using the Campbell Hausfield that I borrowed from an RV12 builder and it never gave me any problems. Oh, and the one from the RV builder was free for the asking.
PantherBuilder.org

ynkster
First Name: william
Last Name: mosher
City or Town: greer
State or Province: sc

Post by ynkster »

Tony gives the best advice on tools! harbor Freight puller (the small one) for $39 is the cheapest and will last for the build.

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Chuck,

Have a look here: https://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo ... 9677841553

Make friends with an RV builder.

Tony

Lowrider
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Dickey
City or Town: Sandpoint
State or Province: ID

Post by Lowrider »

Campbell Hausfield puller...$80, made in Taiwan and has worked great for many years for me.

chuckkemp
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Kemp
City or Town: Fredericksburg
State or Province: Texas

Tool Suggestions/Sale

Post by chuckkemp »

I think a discussion on recommended tools, good sources and best prices may benefit all. I've been able to glean a good bit of info from Cleveland Tools, SPA recommended list and some of the specific discussions on this forum along with reading different builders logs. However that can involve a lot of work and as sources change and vendors offer sales or discounts this may be a good place to recommend a good find.

Additionally if you've finished your build or exiting building this would be a good place to sell your tools to a needy target. Some of you that made special tools may want to rent or loan, this would be a good place to let the group know.

Question: Which blind rivet puller does everyone recommend? I've seen them at Harbor Freight to EBay and all the way to the high end pro tools. Which one gives the best service for the price?