Mgl rpm pickup

Avionics and Electronics Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
matthunter1448
First Name: matthew
Last Name: wiechman
City or Town: spanaway
State or Province: wa

Re: Mgl rpm pickup

Post by matthunter1448 »

tomkk wrote:OK, I'm using a Corvair as well. I'm using a Dynon system and I'm not familiar with the Mgl interface so this may or may not be of help. I'm using a Dakota Digital DSL-1E to generate a tach signal from the generator output. This was originally Dan's suggestion and it seems to be working with my Dynon system. Something for you to check out anyway.
That could work. I'll look into that more. Is it wired with the generator. Installation says to the alternator w wire but it's a generator. Happen to having a wiring diagram? I'm just doing my research and drawing my wiring diagram out before buying anything.

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

OK, I'm using a Corvair as well. I'm using a Dynon system and I'm not familiar with the Mgl interface so this may or may not be of help. I'm using a Dakota Digital DSL-1E to generate a tach signal from the generator output. This was originally Dan's suggestion and it seems to be working with my Dynon system. Something for you to check out anyway.
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

matthunter1448

Post by matthunter1448 »

I'm using the corvair sorry I meant to post that above

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

What engine are you using?
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

matthunter1448

Mgl rpm pickup

Post by matthunter1448 »

So I'm doing some research on the MGL iefis that I'm looking at and wondering where most are getting their RPM pickup from. After doing some research I did see that it's not good to pull from the coil like I would normally do in my car so seeing what others have done with different efis or the same mgl. I'm looking at using the Explorer IEFIS, I have messed with their simulator quite a bit and really like the way it's set up. Any other info anyone has would be useful.
Thanks