LyCon

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
muehlberg
First Name: S. Eric
Last Name: Muehlberg
City or Town: Newcastle (OKC)
State or Province: Oklahoma

Re: LyCon

Post by muehlberg »

The IO-233 is basically a light weight O-235. I have flown behind O-235 engines for over 2,000 hours. The engines are almost bullet proof. I have disassembled O-235 engines for overhaul that were flying in aircraft with cams so worn the valves barely opened, with compressions in the 20 psi range, and even with less than 2 quarts of oil in the sump. The engines have a 2,400 TBO and they are certified for that 2,400 TBO. I have seen many go well beyond that TBO. I'm not selling engines here, but the O-235 is a great power plant that is under stressed (low compression ratio) and can burn auto fuel with no problems. Yes, I have over 2,500 hours of running Lycoming engines on auto fuel without a single problem. The engine with a light weight starter and charging system (and possibly electronic ingnition) is right in there on weight with the Corvair. Parts aren't that expensive now that lycoming has some competition (ECI and Superior).

I don't claim to be the the "expert" or the "engine expert" as I know there will always be more to learn. Although, I am an A&P, a pilot, an EAA Tech Counselor, an aircraft owner and I've built and restored several aircraft over the years. The best thing I've done recently is purchase Panther Kit (Serial Number 11) and I can't wait to get started(picked up the partial tail kit @ OSH)! And yes it will have a Lycoming O-235-C (115 HP @ 2,800 RPM burning around 6 GPH of auto fuel) on it.

Better place your order soon, because I think the line is soon to be a long one.

mjpalermo
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Palermo
City or Town: Katonah
State or Province: NY

Post by mjpalermo »

Sorry, this is the correct blog post:

http://www.zenith.aero/profiles/blog/sh ... nt%3A84791

At the bottom is the option and pricing info but the post is from 2010. It seems a few Zenith builders are using that engine.

mjpalermo

Post by mjpalermo »

I found this info from the zenith forum. The guy who purchased one includes his pricing.

http://www.zenith.aero/m/blogpost?id=26 ... st%3A82839

I think another resource might be the guy at renegade light sport. He told me at OSH that he had a couple new engines in his hangar.

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

I think the IO-233 would be a good fit, especially if you can do it with the inverted systems. It is a pricey engine - but they all are. Have you found a place you can purchase one yet? If so, let me know. Lycoming states you need to go to your kit manufacturer - but they haven't been responsive when we have discussed it with them in the past. I am also finding conflicting information online. The inverted version is listed as the AEIO-233 at 204 lbs where the IO-233 is listed as 214 lbs. Do you have a link to a resource with some good information on it? I am going to go after Lycoming again, but would like to have more information before I do....

mjpalermo

Post by mjpalermo »

Hey Dan and Rachel,
I've been wondering about the IO-233. Under powered compared to the O-320 but with the weight savings and factory electronic ignition and inverted systems it might be worth it. Your thoughts???

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Lycoming 0-320 = 244 lbs
Corvair 3.0L = 218 lbs
Jabiru 3300 = 180 lbs
UL 260is = 160 lbs

Gadgetman
First Name: Darren
Last Name: Golez
City or Town: Jacksonville
State or Province: FL

Post by Gadgetman »

Rachael,

Do you have weight information that you can put in comparison.
Corvair
Lycoming O-320
Jabiru

Thank you,
Darren
Prospective Panther builder, Sports version with Lycombing O-320.
I need a tail wheel endorsement first!

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

No - the IO-320 or a constant speed prop will be too heavy for the Panther.

csjohnson65
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Johnson
State or Province:

Post by csjohnson65 »

Hi - Will "approved" engine options include the IO-320 in addition to the O-320, and will constant speed props also be an "approved" option? - Thanks, Chris

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

LyCon

Post by rlweseman »

Here is a place for discussions regarding Lycoming and Continental engine options for the Panther.