About the SPA Panther
Read the KITPLANES Flight Review
See the Latest Videos
See the Latest Updates
The Panther is designed as a versatile, mid-sized, single seat low wing Sport or LSA aerobatic airplane with quick fold wings.
|Why? We all know there are 10 different single seat airplanes in this class, so why do we need another one? It comes down to compromises. Every designer picks their own set of compromises, whether it be engine choice, construction, technique or building modes (like plans versus kits), just to name a few. It has always been and always will be a give and take. The designs in the current market never seemed to fit my set of desired compromises. They were either too small, very complex to build, designed around a specific engine or could only be kit built. When thinking in terms of a single seat airplane I always thought there should be an aircraft with a much broader set of compromises. The Panther offers un-paralleled versatility. The Panther is the Burger King of airplanes, “Have it Your Way”. You choose the engine, landing gear configuration, wing length, safety features ….you make it how you want it.
- Quick (2 min or less) easy single person wing fold, no controls to disconnect.
- Fit in 20ftx8x8 space (trailer ) when folded
- Large cockpit with adjustable rudder pedals and seat back, room for big guys and a parachute!
- Forward (2cu ft)and rear baggage area
- Pilot rollover protection
- Bubble canopy
- Excellent visibility
| Flight Performance Design
- Easy to fly with low stall/landing speed
- Long stick and travel for light control feel without being “twitchy”
- Positively stable in all axis
- Excellent off runway and climb performance
- Fun and sporty to fly with great performance and wide speed range!
|There are two wing lengths/airframe configurations –
- Wingspan 21.5 ft
- not LSA
- 6Gs at 1150 lbs
- Engines from Corvair, Jabiru, UL or Lycoming 0-320
- 27 gal fuel in wings
- Empty weights from 650-850
- Tail dragger only.
- Wingspan 23.5 ft
- LSA legal
- 6Gs at 1115 lbs
- Engines form 80-120 hp
- 27 gal fuel in wing
- Empty weights from 650-750 lbs
- Tail dragger or tri-gear
- 6061 aluminum / flush blind rivets
- 4130 steel tube construction from seat back to firewall. All critical attachment points like landing gear, wing pin, engine mount, 5 point harness, rollover bar, control hard points etc. are welded in the fixture. This allows quick accurate construction of all critical points. Offers safety in a crash. Skinned in AL
- Quick easy to build tail cone rivets/bolts on to the forward fuselage
- Simple control surface design
- Simple strong wing spar with only seven components per spar (plus bolts/rivets)