Other Engines

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Lowrider
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Dickey
City or Town: Sandpoint
State or Province: ID

Re: Other Engines

Post by Lowrider »

Any thoughts of using a Rotec throttle body rather than a carb? I'm putting one on my 0-320...simple... no float and they fly inverted too.

chuckkemp
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Kemp
City or Town: Fredericksburg
State or Province: Texas

Post by chuckkemp »

Tony Spicer wrote: 3. Corvairs and O-200's are apples and oranges when selecting a prop, unless you want to run your O-200 at 3200 rpm. Nailing down a fixed-pitch prop is an iterative process that can cost a bunch of money. That's why your best bet would be to go with a Whirlwind or Sensenich ground adjustable.

Tony
Actually Tony, I do plan to run the O-200 up to 3,200 RPM. My plan is to install Performance Engines 9:1 pistons, and port and polish all four "new" Continental cylinders. I also plan to install Lightspeed Engineering Dual Plasma III electronic ignition and doing away with both magnetos. Additionally I plan to install a B&C lightweight starter and one of their lightweight permanent magnet generators. I'm also doing away with the vacuum pump drive off the nose of the engine too. I will be using a fresh overhauled MA-3PA carb. To improve oil flow, I'm having the accessory case machined to accept an O-300 oil pump assy. All that said, I hope to see near 120 HP at 3,200 RPM.

Currently my engine is torn down and most parts are out for NDT or overhaul. Unfortunately the crank was rejected due to the slinger ring being cracked. The guy that I bought the core from said he'd make it good and is on the hunt for a replacement crank. Hopefully he comes through as this is a very expensive replacement item.

I'll probably build the lower end of the engine and order the top end later after I get started on the airframe. I know, I'm working the project backwards, but hey why not be different than everyone else? 8-)

My calculated weight for this version of the O-200 (~204 lbs), see the table below for details.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2thb ... V9ZckdJTXM

Chuck

Lowrider

Post by Lowrider »

Good start on their web site but short on details/price, etc. I've thought for the 14 years I've owned my 170 about a Franklin but it has been a "pipe dream"...hopefully this firm will do better than others that have come before them.

I do have the same TBI for my 0320 build for my high wing cub like thing. Glad to see Franklin use them.

It will be very interesting to see how their 0235 works out in the Panther. The TBI should work great for up side down stuff.

Greg Pixley
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Pixley
City or Town: Niceville
State or Province: Florida

Post by Greg Pixley »

Just to add to the number of possibilities for Panther motors, my 125HP Franklin 0-235 arrived from the factory yesterday. I'm excited about doing something a little different and promised Franklin Aerospace to post pictures of the build and answer Panther questions. Dan and Rachel are delivering the motor mount in June (Cont 0-200) along with the engine cowling and we'll go from there!

Check out the motor at franklinaerospace.us. I've talked to Kelly Bartlett (Company president) for the last two years at Sun N Fun and have been impressed by the affordability of the motor and replacement parts.

Greg Pixley

Lowrider

Post by Lowrider »

Catto is a fine prop but as you mentioned they are all a compromise and if you go with the constant speed there is weight and complexity to deal with, not to mention cost.

JimParker256
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Parker
City or Town: Farmersville
State or Province: TX

Post by JimParker256 »

I'm certainly no expert on this topic, but have been researching as I try to decide whether to use a fixed-pitch or constant-speed prop on the Bearhawk Patrol I'm building. Some of the fixed-pitch prop companies seem to create props that work really well for climb, but not so great for cruise. Others seem to be the opposite - really great for cruising, but not so great for climb. The Catto Propellers folks seem to have the experience and design expertise to create prop that comes pretty close to "ideal compromise" on the first pass... The props they make seem to offer pretty good climb, and yet still cruise within a couple of knots of other props optimized solely for cruise. I don't know what their "secret sauce" is, but whatever it is, it seems to work for both Cub-type "low and slow" planes, as well as the much faster RV-types. If I wind up going with a fixed-pitch prop, it will likely be a Catto...
Jim Parker
Rans S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Panther / Cougar - someday?

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

chuckkemp wrote: Question:
1 -Has anyone finished an O-200 installation into a Panther yet?

2 -I see prices for Exhaust, Engine Mount, assume the generic cowl is used?

3 -What prop would be recommended, same as the Corvair but RH rotation?
[/i]
Regards,

Chuck Kemp
1. Don't think so, but there will be one flying before you have to make a firm engine decision.

2. Yep.

3. Corvairs and O-200's are apples and oranges when selecting a prop, unless you want to run your O-200 at 3200 rpm. Nailing down a fixed-pitch prop is an iterative process that can cost a bunch of money. That's why your best bet would be to go with a Whirlwind or Sensenich ground adjustable.

Tony

chuckkemp
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Kemp
City or Town: Fredericksburg
State or Province: Texas

Post by chuckkemp »

Ok, working my due diligence for the project. Had pretty well targeted a Corvair engine but now after considerable analysis thinking I may go to an O-200. I think I've found a suitable core for $4K and can overhaul myself with new cylinders and NDT and machining for about the same price I can build a Corvair with billet crank, rods and 5th bearing. This includes balancing the O-200 crank and rods and dual redundant electronic ignition and staying with an overhauled MA3-SPA carb. I may opt for Lycon port/polishing and 9:1 pistons to bump up to ~115 HP for $2K more.

Question:
-Has anyone finished an O-200 installation into a Panther yet?

-I see prices for Exhaust, Engine Mount, assume the generic cowl is used?

-What prop would be recommended, same as the Corvair but RH rotation?

Regards,

Chuck Kemp

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Glen,

Nope, nothing online. I think the mount is in process now, with cowl work to commence after Ben gets the engine mounted. Katie has promised that the new cowl will not look like a bottom-feeding fish!

Tony

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Tony,

Does Ben Krotje have a web site anywhere on the internet that might show pictures of his progress?

Glen