The end of Picasa?

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
kennethfranz
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: Franz
City or Town: Lake Almanor
State or Province: CA

Re: The end of Picasa?

Post by kennethfranz »

Such news makes you nervous, especially when you use this software every day and are not going to try something else. If I have any problems, I always reinstall it, I download it often here https://yumdownload.com/picasa, since it is convenient, especially if you need to download more than one software. Such a removal of problems always satisfied me.

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

That worked. Thanks Tony

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

GlenNJ wrote:Tony,
Your Picasa album is down (it's been down for some time now). I try to open it on Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome, and I get the same page that says "Google Error, 404 NOT_FOUND". Do you have a link to Google Photos, where you said it has been moved too.
Thanks,
Glen
Glen,

Give this a try: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/116 ... 1088965116

Tony

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Tony,
Your Picasa album is down (it's been down for some time now). I try to open it on Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome, and I get the same page that says "Google Error, 404 NOT_FOUND". Do you have a link to Google Photos, where you said it has been moved too.
Thanks,
Glen

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

PlaneDan wrote:So, are there any options to save your log? Can you move it to your PC, or to a hosted server?
No need to save it, as it's not going anywhere. http://googlephotos.blogspot.com/?hl=en_US
Everything that I have on Picasa was automatically moved to Google Photos. Every album with every comment. Right now it's on both Picasa and Google Photos, and I suspect will be there long after I'm gone.

My opinion is that there's not a better way to keep a build log. I'm living proof that anybody with basic computer skills can do it. I'm not all that familiar with other options like Kitlog Pro, but I do know that unlike Google, that one is a one man operation.

Tony

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

So, are there any options to save your log? Can you move it to your PC, or to a hosted server?
PantherBuilder.org

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

at7000ft wrote:If you have a Google Photos account also I believe all your Picassa photes are already moved to Google Photos, don't know about the annotations.

rh
That's correct. Complete with albums and annotations.

Tony

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

If you have a Google Photos account also I believe all your Picassa photes are already moved to Google Photos, don't know about the annotations.

rh
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

GlenNJ wrote:I clicked on Tony's Picasa site today (like I do everyday), and I finally decided to read the "Important update on Picasa Web Albums" message at the top. What's going to happen to the Picasa web albums after March 15, 2016, when Google will no longer be supporting the Picasa desktop application? Will these albums go away? If so, is there an easy way I can download them now, before they go away?

Glen
Glen,

It appears they will be archived somewhere and still be available for viewing:

"However, for those of you who don’t want to use Google Photos or who still want to be able to view specific content, such as tags, captions or comments, we will be creating a new place for you to access your Picasa Web Albums data. That way, you will still be able to view, download, or delete your Picasa Web Albums, you just won’t be able to create, organize or edit albums (you would now do this in Google Photos)."

Sure hope so, as that's my builders log!

Tony

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

I sure do hope Tony is able to recover his postings. These are real gems and should be around as long as Tony chooses. I guess there really isn't a free lunch.
PantherBuilder.org