0-320 lycoming first start

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
gsikes
First Name: george
Last Name: sikes
City or Town: Albany
State or Province: Oregon

Re: 0-320 lycoming first start

Post by gsikes »

Hello you guys that are fallowing larry V advice about running your engines way behind the power curve that he's talking don't plan on trying to get off short grass fields and over a 50' tree I'll take bets you "wont make IT"--
If you want the right info for your prop to engine size talk to Dan W or William W maybe you might want the
education they can give you---!!
g sikes

Exhaust guy
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Vetterman
City or Town: Hot Springs
State or Province: SD

Post by Exhaust guy »

George, the static rpm for typical aircraft like Panthers and RVs at 2200-2250 is most likely in the ball park. Catto and other props for these airplanes should and usually do top out at 2800 at 8000 DA. It's not a fair comparison to a C-172. Btw this engine is the same one I had in my cub with a Catto 82-41 and the static rpm was 2280 and max rpm was 2850.
Flaps on the panther do help in two modes. I notch helps slow it down and full flaps decreases the stall speed as well as changes the angle of attack on short final. Yep, visibility over the cowl is good with full flaps. I'm thinking a set of VG's might be an improvement but that testing as to size, spacing and placement really needs to be done in the wind tunnel by someone much more knowledgeable than myself. So the testing continues. We had low clouds this am so I didn't get a chance to fly today but tomorrow may be a great day. Larryv.

jamesmil
First Name: jimmy
Last Name: miller
City or Town: wilmington
State or Province: nc

Post by jamesmil »

I think we're comparing apples to oranges on this. Your right if we were talking about static rpm if this engine was in a C172, which is what my engine was in. The static rpm should be about 2350 if my memory serves my right in a 172. But if we pitch the prop on a plane like the Panther that is a single place with a gross weight 1200 lb and is much cleaner aerodynamicly than a 172 I feel the rpm would go past red line very shortly after take off and in level flight we would have to pull the power way back to stay below red line so we would not be getting the most efficiency from the engine / prop.

To Larry Vetterman, my prop is the same as yours at 67x69. I will post some numbers when I get to flying, hopefully next week.

gsikes
First Name: george
Last Name: sikes
City or Town: Albany
State or Province: Oregon

Post by gsikes »

Hello guys you're talking 0-320 at 2200 is waay under what the static rpm for that engine should be at full throttle--!!
I would say off hand too much pitch--!

jamesmil

Post by jamesmil »

Hi Larry, I'm not sure of the dimensions of my prop but it is very close to yours if not the same.Nicole at Catto said that I should see about 2230 rpm static, my static rpm is a little more than 2200. I had a heavy wing on the RV/7 I built and used the flap to fix it. Thanks for the heads up on the idle rpm, does full flap make much of a difference?
By the way your exhaust system fit great.

Exhaust guy
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Vetterman
City or Town: Hot Springs
State or Province: SD

Post by Exhaust guy »

I have an 0-320 on my panther and a Catto 3 blade prop 67-68. The prop is working ok, but I'm thinking its a little over pitched. It takes a bit on takeoff to get spooled up. I can't say at this point what the rpm is initially as it doesn't take long to get airborne. I'm seeing the rpm increase and good acceleration once the airspeed reaches 85-90 mph indicated. My prop doesn't have the little fences on it like yours either. One thing for sure it's really smooth on the E2D. The other thing I had to learn was getting it to slow down. I reset the idle to 600 rpm as it just keeps pulling anything above idle on final. The only thing I adjusted was a slight wing heavy condition and when I put my digital level on the flaps the right one was 1.5 degrees lower than the left. A quick adjustment took care of it. I'll post more info as the testing-flying continues. Larry V

jamesmil

Post by jamesmil »

Hi Rick, sorry I can't give you much info on the prop at this time as I have not flown it yet. I am still waiting on the registration to come back from the faa so that I can get it inspected. I have no body to blame for the delay as my printer chopped off the bottom of the 8050-1 registration form and I didn't catch it until it was returned to me to be refilled.
The prop is a Catto 3 blade that has a stall fence on each blade. The purpose is so that the prop can turn more rpm before it starts to looses its bite. This is a racing prop but I don't plan to do any racing, when I called Catto to talk about a prop that one was available because it was used in their display at OSH and had been run doing some testing.i wanted a 3 blade for the panther more for looks then anything else.
After talking with them and telling them what I was building and what engine I was using thay say I should see a top speed of 190 to 195 mph at 2750 rpm.

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Jimmy

Nice work, am planning on a 320 also, what make/model/size is your prop? Looks fantastic, how do you like it?

Thanks
Rick Holland
Rick Holland
N6819Z

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Photos Posted now - see below!
jamesmil wrote:Just started up the 0-320 in the Panther this afternoon. It is a E2D 150 hp with 412. HSMO, turned 2 blades and fired up befour I was ready. Good mag check, now on to finishing up.
Sorry no photos don't know how to malt the photo file size smaller so I can load pic's

Photos Posted now!
enginerun.jpg
enginerun2.jpg
enginerun3.jpg

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Really cool Jimmy
Send the photos to me or Rachel and we will post here!! Keep it up