Great Job Dan and Rachel and all involved

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Re: Great Job Dan and Rachel and all involved

Post by ykachuro »

No doubt, this is a great success story in the making.

Eric, btw, and you don’t need to be a pilot to start building an airplane...

Al O'Dine
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Johnson
City or Town: Sioux Falls
State or Province: SD

Great Job Dan and Rachel and all involved

Post by Al O'Dine »

I have followed along on various forums over many years, even though I am not a pilot. It's just been a long time interest of mine since high school. The only flying I have ever done was a short bit of about 8 lessons in a glider back in my 20s. I've never even been in a powered small aircraft. But one can dream and live vicariously through others adventures.

I had seen the news at some point that Dan was going to build something and then later start selling it. As many here know, lots of people selling things come and go. Some even come back numerous times under different company names.

Just opening a retail store selling home gifts can be a major challenge, let alone designing ,building, testing an aircraft. And then selling and supporting plans, kits, and parts is no small feat.

If you had some semblance of a personal life prior to starting a business, you can kiss it goodbye once you start down that path. You are on 24/7 even when you try not to be. You don't have the luxury of hiring lots of staff to do marketing, sales support, legal, manufacturing, hiring, sourcing, shipping, and on and on. You are it.

The success rate of small businesses is poor. Even worse for aviation no doubt.

So off an on, I watched the online news of Dan and his projects. And now here he is with his wife and kids, and he manages to hit on a great design straight out of the gate. Not by chance, but by lots of research and trial and error no doubt.
Sweat equity.

Dan and Rachel, I have never met you, but my hat is off to you both. This was no small thing to get going. And the work and challenges will continue.

Congratulations on an excellent start and keep up the good work. Experimental aviation needs more people like you guys.