Panther Performance vs. Engines/Lyc

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
jamesmil
First Name: jimmy
Last Name: miller
City or Town: wilmington
State or Province: nc

Re: Panther Performance vs. Engines/Lyc

Post by jamesmil »

My pleasure, I leaned on bob a lot when I was building. Have fun with your build.

75kr@att.net
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Ross
City or Town: Granbury
State or Province: TX

Post by 75kr@att.net »

Thanks Jimmy! Your numbers are of course great. Thanks for sharing them with us. I had the opportunity to talk with Bob Woolley as well and his numbers echo yours. You both are very encouraging for those of us building. Ref. the numbers and other info from the two of you I will go with the 0320. Best Wishes!

jamesmil
First Name: jimmy
Last Name: miller
City or Town: wilmington
State or Province: nc

Post by jamesmil »

Hi Kevin, I have the Panther T/W with a lycoming 0320 E2D up graded to 160 hp, also with a Cato three blade prop. At 2400 rpm I am indicating 150 knots and burning around 8.5 gph, the fuel burn is a guess on my part as I have not really tried to nail it down. With this engine and prop combo, I see over 2000 feet per, min. Climb how much over 2000 I’m not sure as vsi bar on the MFD only goes up to 2000’ sorry I can’t give you better performance numbers but as for myself I am very happy with the engine and prop package on my Panther.
Also let me say that I am very happy with the Panther package. I built it for acro and to just go up and enjoy flying anyway I feel like at the time and it has exceeded my expectations. It is a kick a$$ airplane and a fun build

75kr@att.net
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Ross
City or Town: Granbury
State or Province: TX

Panther Performance vs. Engines/Lyc

Post by 75kr@att.net »

Hi Guys,

Of course a lot of good info here in the forum but pretty hard to find finite performance numbers on flying airplanes as it pertains to particular engines. Many of you folks posted earlier that you were still in the flight test and didn't want to post any numbers...now many months later and probably a lot of flights later would you please put up some hard numbers for those of us engine shopping and making such decisions.

I am most interested in the Lyc 0320 and 0235 machines out there. Sure would like to see a comparison and anything else you might share with us.

Buddy, I'm well into a Trigear and would like to know what engine you installed, please. I have the conical mount and am looking at an 0320-B2A...wondering if the carb in particular will clear the nose landing gear leg and shock absorber??

Thanks everybody!

Kevin