Southern California Panther Builders

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
bob_arthur
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Arthur
City or Town: San Clemente
State or Province: CA

Re: Southern California Panther Builders

Post by bob_arthur »

Thanks for the tip Dan
I like that idea.

bob_arthur

Post by bob_arthur »

Thanks Rick and Bill
It's nice to meet both of you.

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Bob
welcome to the madness...
You can certainly drill a yard stick as Bill mentions, but its much easier to drill hinges using one of the CNC drilled wing or tail skins like we show in the wing building manual for aileron and flap hinges!
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

ynkster
First Name: william
Last Name: mosher
City or Town: greer
State or Province: sc

Post by ynkster »

Hi Bob-
I am building #46, about 80 5 done. I am not at my computer, but, you can save a lot of time drilling hinges with this way of doing it: Go to Harbor Freight and by a couple of 4 foot aluminum yardsticks. you will drill a 3 40 hole on every 1 inch line. I did it on my drill press, set up a guide so that the holes would be in center of hinge. this way you have 4 feet of holes. Lay hinge on bench, put yardstick on to, snug it tight to pin roll on hinge and clamp, and drill!
I would highly recommend looking thru builders web sites and on the "forum" for ideas which save time and getting ideas.

Bill Mosher
Greer, SC
ynkster@aol.com

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Welcome Bob - am building an LSA version Panther now and am planning on using a 320 mostly because I will be flying at high DAs in Colorado. But the Corvair with WWs and DWs conversion parts is a great choice too, I am flying a Corvair/Pietenpol now that I finished a couple years ago (just recently got back from a morning flight as a matter of fact).
Rick Holland
N6819Z

bob_arthur

Southern California Panther Builders

Post by bob_arthur »

Hi Everyone,
This is Bob Arthur from San Clemente, California. (halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego on the coast)
I just started building a Panther Sport (short wing) and wanted to introduce myself.
Still undecided about which motor I am going to use but most likely will be either the 3300 Corvair or Lycoming O-320.
Still working on the tail and waiting for my full kit to arrive.
I have set up a blog to keep track of the build. If you want to watch my mistakes being made , you can find them here.

http://bob-arthur.tumblr.com

I chose Tumblr.com because it is similar to a straight photo storage software but it has a great iPhone app where I can take the photos or video with the phone and upload right from there. No camera and import into the computer needed. It will also let me post other things like links and audio files. It is about as simple as can be and is a blog style site.
I will use tags in the blog to keep track of the different parts of the build. Right now I just have #preparation and #tail being used.
Hopefully this will work out. We will see about that.

Looking forward to having this plane flying in fairly short order.
I can be reached directly at bobarthur@mac.com