New guy with questions

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Floding wings option

Post by PlaneDan »

I wonder if, in the future, it could be an option that might save the builder a few bucks if they don't intend to build that in. I just hate to waste the parts.
PantherBuilder.org

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Re: New guy with questions

Post by danweseman »

Actually it seems about 75% of the builders have installed , or are planning to install they wing folding parts.
I know Brent Mayo and Paul Salter have them installed. it saves about 8 lbs if you leave all the stuff out.
I will also say that at least 80% of "cougar " inquires say they want folding wings so to many it is important . The good news is you can build it either way !
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

jsteere #39
First Name: John
Last Name: Steere
City or Town: Martinsville
State or Province: Indiana

Post by jsteere #39 »

Bob, I built mine with the folding wing feature for two reasons:
1. While I have a full hangar and do not plan to fold them on a regular basis, it may be the deciding factor for whomever buys it from me down the road. It seems like an added value feature with very little down-side.
2. I found it to be a very useful feature for working on or inspecting the aileron joiners and the inboard area of the wings. It is also very handy when working on the bottom side of the wing. The wing can be pulled fully out, turned upside-down and the outboard end set on a saw horse, for very easy access. No need to lay on a creeper and work upside down.

Hope this helps.

PlaneDan

Why NO folding wings

Post by PlaneDan »

For me, I have a hangar and do not want to do the wing thing every time I want to fly. Weight, for me, was also a small consideration. However, when I got to the stage of adjusting the wings so they would just fall into place, that did not happen after many hours. I feel lucky to just get them in place so the pin ( bolt for me ) will go in. Then add all the complexity and time to install all that stuff. I would much rather spend my time on things I really want in my plane.

Has anyone other than Dan built with folding wings to date? I have not read either way.
PantherBuilder.org

loufly
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Miller
City or Town: St. Louis
State or Province: Missouri

Post by loufly »

Why leave off the folding wings? I think it's a *huge* plus. Is there a significant weight savings?

"I have seen that that most people are building their Panthers without folding wing"

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Dan Heath - Yes, it is a public airport. However, the Corvair college is a closed event. Others have registered and paid for their attendance/cost coverage and for anyone to show up because it is "a public airport and they don't have to pay" is being rude and disrespectful to everyone else there. Oshkosh is a public airport, but during the week of airventure you don't get to just fly in and hang out with friends. P.F. Beck is a perfect gentleman and would never turn anyone away. All the more reason to show the respect due.

PlaneDan

Corvair College

Post by PlaneDan »

Someone suggested that I contact WW or PF Beck about coming just to look around and meet up with friends, since the sign up was closed. I contacted PF, since I know him, and he was very welcoming to me. However, he said that I will have to pay for all my food and drink, as I would insist on doing, and will not interfere with the CC going on inside the hangar. It is at KBNL and is a public airport.
PantherBuilder.org

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Please note that the Barnwell, SC Corvair College is full. The signup was closed about a month ago.

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Ok. Thanks

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

FYI,

I made a mistake on my previous post. The Corvair College at Barnwell starts March 10.

Paul
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder