New guy with questions

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Re: New guy with questions

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Paul,

Thanks for the info and the invitation. I will try to take you up on it. I am not sure of our exact intinery, but as the time comes closer I will send you another email. I also hope to meet Rachel and Dan if they are around.

Fred

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Re: New guy with questions

Post by psalter »

Hi Fred, welcome to the forum.

I don't know what the overall mix is between folding and non-folding wings. All kits come with the folding wing parts, some people decide to leave some things off for non-folding. All items except nylon slide plates mounted in the wing can be retrofitted at any time, even with a complete aircraft. The nylon plates need to be installed with the wing skins off.

Nose gear and tail wheel based fuselages are for the most part the same, however, the main landing gear mounts move from in front of the spar for tail wheel aircraft, to behind the spar for nose wheel aircraft. These mounts are welded in place and not something easily done by a builder.

I am located in Green Cove Springs, FL along with about 5 or 6 other Panthers, including a nose-gear one. It is also the location of the factory. It is around 3-4 hours north of Jupiter. While I work during the day, I would be available in the evenings. While I can't speak for others at our field, they are usually very happy to show their planes. Also, if you call ahead, Dan and Rachel are usually available to talk to you at the shop.

We will be at Barnwell, SC for the corvair college on March 17, and there will likely be 1 or 2 Panthers there also.

Paul
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

New guy with questions

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Hi, my name is Fred and I am from Cleveland Ohio.

I have seen that that most people are building their Panthers without folding wings and as a conventional gear ( tailwheel). I am considering building a Panther LS with folding wings and a nosewheel. I have some questions regarding that.

1. What is the difference in construction between the folding wing and the non-folding wing, and can a non folding wing be converted to a folding wing during construction ( before the skins are attached)?

2. Is the forward fuselage cage the same for the conventional gear version and the nose gear version. If not can a conventional gear forward fuselage cage be converted to a nose gear forward fuselage prior to attaching skins, firewall, and rear fuselage?

I am also taking a vacation to Jupiter Florida between the 5th and 9th of March. I was wondering if there was anyone within a few hour drive of Jupiter that would be willing to show me their build.

Thanks