New Builder in North Carolina

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
ynkster
First Name: william
Last Name: mosher
City or Town: greer
State or Province: sc

Re: New Builder in North Carolina

Post by ynkster »

Hi, Welcome to "Panther" world. I am just about finished with my Panther, #46. I have it at Union, SC airport. At your convenience, c'mon down and take a look! Give me a call before you come, but I am there almost every day.
Bill Mosher
Greer, SC.
(864)706-2726
N46XX

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Congrats Bill on starting your Panther, am building a Panther now mostly complete firewall back and am flying a Pietenpol with a 2600 cc Corvair now. A Corvair is a great choice but before buying anything I recommend you get and read William Wynne's Corvair conversion manual, and/or discuss with Dan. The 140 HP cores are not the best to start with.
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Post by Barry »

Welcome Bill,

It is a super fun airplane to build, I have some family near Charlotte, maybe I can swing by some day!

Barry
Panther Sport #95

aerobat
First Name: Bill
Last Name: W
City or Town: Denver
State or Province: North Carolina

Post by aerobat »

tomkk wrote:Hi Bill, welcome to the Panther crowd. I just finished mine and have it in Phase I testing. Love it! I'm sure you'll have fun with the build and the flying.
Tom,

Appreciate the Welcome! Can't wait to start building!

Best Regards,
Bill
SN 120

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

Hi Bill, welcome to the Panther crowd. I just finished mine and have it in Phase I testing. Love it! I'm sure you'll have fun with the build and the flying.
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

aerobat
First Name: Bill
Last Name: W
City or Town: Denver
State or Province: North Carolina

New Builder in North Carolina

Post by aerobat »

Hello,

Should receiving tail kit later this week, SN 120. Been following the Panther since seeing part of the prototype "in progress" at Dan and Rachel's display booth at Sun N Fun several years ago. Plan to build a Panther that can be flown under light sport rules.

Been flying since the 70s and always wanted to build an airplane. Started flying aerobatics with a Cessna Aerobat and other aircraft around 2000. Since then the goal has been to build an aerobatic airplane.

Purchased a side by side 1948 Piper PA-17 "Vagabond" with C-85/metal prop during 2018 to learn about flying tailwheel aircraft. Flying off of a grass strip north of Charlotte NC. The Vag's gross weight is 1150 pounds. This airplane does not have an electrical system or starter.

Hope to build a light Panther. Been looking at different engines for the Panther that will stay within Light Sport flying weight with my weight at 200 pounds. Currently looking at 0-200 or C-85-12 with stroker crankshaft. Many C-85 engines had fuel injection with mechanical fuel pumps. Like the idea of using the mechanical fuel pump with one of the newer experimental carbs.

Yesterday talked with a Corvair auto builder that has a spare 140HP Corvair engine he will sell me. If I go with a Corvair, it will be Dan's 3.3 conversion.

He's my tailwheel trainer for now:

Bill
North Carolina
SN-120
Bill
SN 120