Stall Speed

Off topic discussion board
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
mccool
First Name: James
Last Name: Neely
City or Town: Essex
State or Province: Ontario

Re: Stall Speed

Post by mccool »

Nope, as far as I can tell, they go by what the designer says, or maybe calculate by wing loading, but the Sonex numbers weren't an issue. One of our local builders did his Sonex/Aerovee as an ultralight. Our local inspector saw it and pointed out that it was a shame it was registered ultralight, it was beautifully built and he is a real stickler.
I'm pretty sure if Dan says it stalls dirty at 45, they accept that. If you build in Basic Ultralight class, as far as I can tell, they don't want to know about it, just pay your rego fees and don't kill yourself.
I loved the 3300 in my Sonex, but the hullabaloo about the having to pull the case bolts and replace the nuts was very disappointing. I don't think I'd go with that engine again, because they're $19k now.
Anyway this is all conjecture at this point, maybe the new flap settings will make the difference. Who knows?

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: Stall Speed

Post by Tony Spicer »

Ace,

Have a look at the Sonex numbers. 1150 gross, 98 sq ft, advertised stall dirty 40 mph. Panther 1115 gross, 94 sq ft (I think). Replacing the Corvair with a 3300 would knock 40 lbs off the empty weight. Keep the wing loading down and 45 mph should be within reach. Do they fly it to determine stall speed, or calculate it based on wing loading?

Tony

mccool
First Name: James
Last Name: Neely
City or Town: Essex
State or Province: Ontario

Stall Speed

Post by mccool »

So far it looks like the Panther dirty stall is around 48mph. If it could be brought down to 45, the Panther could be built and flown in Canada as an ultralight. This would save about $2k in inspection fees, and fewer bureaucratic issues around importing. Sonex for instance, even with a 3300 met the criteria and could have been a 200mph ultralight. I chose amateur built because of passenger carrying, not an issue with the Panther.

Just Sayin' :idea:

James