LSA and what is required

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Re: LSA and what is required

Post by PlaneDan »

I just re-read this post and greatly appreciate it. I think I saw a link posted at one time for a POH that I could use as a template for creating mine for the UL Powered Panther, Is that link still available, and if so, someone, please re-post if for me.

Thanks,
PantherBuilder.org

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

All, this topic is very important to the Panther and many people (even magazine article authors) dont understand the rules.
138 mph calibrated airspeed at sea level and standard day. The Panther dose this at about 2650 RPM with current prop which is about 60% of the power it could produce if allowed to spin to max RPM (3300 rpm). Remember you are the manufacturer and set all limits etc with engine and airframe, regardless if it is a airplane engine or car conversion etc. The important thing is to have a max continuos power (RPM) documented in the engine,airframe logs ,and POH that meets the above. This is the most common point that is confused,but is the lest critical.Tony is correct that all other cruise speeds are not mentioned. the Other thing to keep in mind is that true AS goes up about 2 MPH per 1k feet. so at 8000 ft 138 mph is 156 mph. Also at 8000 ft you have 75% atmosphere so wide open throttle can only generate 75% power. A Panther with 3.0L corvair will cruise 165 mph TRUE Airspeed at wide open throttle(remember its only 75% power). This is totally LSA legal
the Stall speed of 51.5 MPH at sea level standard day is the important one. This is dictated by the airfoil and wing loading. a Panther with long wing (prototype) will meet this at about 1115 lbs. This again is CAS so may not read exactly this on the ASI as most have some error.This is very important because anyone can look at the wing loading and have a good idea if it is mathematically possible .This is most important.
Tony is very correct All Panthers will be certified EAB (just like your KR-2) but meet the letter and spirit of LSA rule when documented per SPA supplied POH. Hope this helps some... Dan Weseman

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Dan,

The speed limit on a LSA is Vne. The speed requirement states that at max continuous power on a standard day at sea level the speed cannot exceed 120 kts. At 3000ft or 6000ft or whatever altitude you choose all bets are off. What is max continuous power of aCorvair?

Tony

PlaneDan

Post by PlaneDan »

I think I have read of speeds that it attains that are above the LSA requirement which I believe to be somewhere around 135 MPH. I am an older person in good health and as long as I can know that I will pass the medical, I want to go places at 150+ MPH. What I understand from this discussion is that when I don't want to mess with that medical stuff anymore, I can just hop in the Panther and set the MP so it cruises no faster than 135 MPH and I am good to go. That is all I have to do?

I don't want to beat this to death, I just want a clear understanding of what to expect 10 years down the road.
PantherBuilder.org

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Dan,

The airplane itself is not LSA. It's EAB (Experimental Amateur Built). If an EAB meets all LSA requirements, then it can be flown as a LSA.

Tony

csjohnson65
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Johnson
State or Province:

Post by csjohnson65 »

psalter wrote:The prototype does meet the LSA specifications as it is.
PlaneDan wrote:So given that the prototype is built and has been flown, NON LSA, can it be flown LSA in the future.
He said that the prototype does meet LSA specifications.

Thanks,

Chris

PlaneDan

Post by PlaneDan »

So given that the prototype is built and has been flown, NON LSA, can it be flown LSA in the future.
PantherBuilder.org

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

The 2 big items that is builder controlled that might affect LSA status is the gross weight you declare, which is due to the stall speed. The gross weight that Dan lists for the LSA version is the maximum gross weight that will meet the minimum LSA stall speed in the clean configuration.

The other item is depending on the engine and propellor combination you choose, you will have to list the maximum continuous operating rpm of the engine to meet the LSA maximum continuous speed.

The prototype does meet the LSA specifications as it is.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

PlaneDan

LSA and what is required

Post by PlaneDan »

Are there any restrictions that will keep the LSA version from being LSA qualified, other than building it to the plans? Could the prototype now be LSA qualified and if so, what would be required to make it so?
PantherBuilder.org