Magnetometer

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Re: Magnetometer

Post by psalter »

Attached is a page from the GRT Sport SX manual on the digital magnetometer mounting.

As stated earlier, as long as the connector is pointed aft (arrow on label pointing in direction of flight), unit can be mounted in any orientation. Later in the setup for the magnetometer in the EFIS setup screens, you select an option and it will sense the magnetometer orientation. There is a caution in the manual and on the screen to make sure and run the orientation check, before doing the calibration.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

Viking
First Name: Ragnar
Last Name: Ingason
City or Town: Wheelersburg
State or Province: Ohio

Post by Viking »

Can it be mounted sideways? For example fastened to the end rib or does it have to be mounted flat, mounting holes pointing down?
Ragnar Ingason
Ohio(KPMH)
Panther Sport S/N 50, Titan340, Whirlwind CS prop.

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

On the magnetometer, as long as the connector points aft, either side can be up. So top of tunnel or side of tunnel is fine. The closer you are to the steel structure you are the more chance of alignment/calibration problems you may have.

With respect to the magnetometer problems, I had 2 problems:
The white/red and white/brown wires were reversed (the color stripes are hard to differentiate)
As Dan mentioned, mine was an early digital unit. GRT sent me a new one after I fixed the wiring and still had a problem. I had borrowed one from Steve Pedano and tried his magnetometer and my setup worked. GRT then sent me a new one. Later, they came out with a software change on the magnetometer to make it align better. I believe it has to be sent in for that, but not sure.

But make sure your software for the EFIS is up to date.

With regards to the Trig TT-22 unit, it is an ADS-B out unit whereas the Sandia is not. So you have to use some other ADS-B out box like the echoUAT unit. So, with the Trig, it is one less box and wiring harness over the Sandia, also, just one thing to setup in the EFIS. If you have the echoUAT, you also have to use a tablet or phone to change the setup parameters in it. In addition to some setup in the EFIS unit.

Both the Trig and Sandia can be remote controlled.

Paul
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

One advantage of the Trig 22 (if you are using a GRT EFIS) is it can be used headless with the GRT and controlled by it.
Rick Holland
N6819Z

MyronNCallaham
First Name: Myron
Last Name: Callaham
City or Town: Bowling Green
State or Province: Kentucky

Post by MyronNCallaham »

Fred, I’m a complete novice on the modern electronics, always had steam gauges and mode C transponder. After talking with Dan, Rachel, and Paul, have ordered the GRT Sport 10.1 (liked the bigger screen), Trigg 22 mode S , safe fly 2020 ADSB out, Stratux ADSB receiver, GRT remote EIS, GRT magnetometer. Already have the FL 760 com

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts

Post by fwellman@att.net »

I went online and saw the GRT has a dedicated installation manual for the Trig 22 online. Just google Trig 22 grt manual.

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Thanks for the info on the magnetometer. I will go with that option and try it on the tunnel first with tape.

Myron, you can download the trig 22 instructions online. I went with the Sandia mode C. I'm curious why you went with the Trig 22? Benefits?

Fred

MyronNCallaham
First Name: Myron
Last Name: Callaham
City or Town: Bowling Green
State or Province: Kentucky

Post by MyronNCallaham »

On a related note, just got my second expensive box, Trig T22 transponder. No paper work with it nor connectors. Is that to be expected?

Viking
First Name: Ragnar
Last Name: Ingason
City or Town: Wheelersburg

Post by Viking »

Can the magnetometer be mounted sideways or does it have to lay flat?
Ragnar Ingason
Ohio(KPMH)
Panther Sport S/N 50, Titan340, Whirlwind CS prop.

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Brian
Maybe Paul will chime in on this post , but I think He had a magnetometer issue as well. He had one of the early "digital" GRT units ,and i think he had to send it back. I will ask when i see him if he doesn't respond
Dan
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP