Matco brake pedal travel

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Viking
First Name: Ragnar
Last Name: Ingason
City or Town: Wheelersburg
State or Province: Ohio

Re: Matco brake pedal travel

Post by Viking »

Thanks for the info guys! I’m getting about 1/2 inch of travel, I was just wondering if that was normal or not. I used Dans method of pumping the fluid from the bleeder valve to the reservoir, took 5 minutes.
Ragnar Ingason
Ohio(KPMH)
Panther Sport S/N 50, Titan340, Whirlwind CS prop.

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

One thing I did not mention. Fill the first side to 1/2 the reservoir, so there is room to push plenty of fluid up the other side. I did not think of that the first time I did this and had some not nice things to say to myself afterwards.

Dan H.
PantherBuilder.org

bluesflyer
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Ward
City or Town: Kennesaw
State or Province: Georgia

Post by bluesflyer »

Thanks all! I’ve got the same tank that PlaneDan referenced and it worked like a charm on the right brake.

I think I’m introducing air somehow on the left side. I’ll try it without the vacuum per Dan’s suggestion and report back. I also think that I might be using too much pressure from the bottom. I’m going to try less pressure and let it bleed at a slower rate.

I agree with Dan that the 1/8” lines are much easier than 1/4” that Vans uses. My right brake took one try and less than five minutes from start to finish.

muehlberg
First Name: S. Eric
Last Name: Muehlberg
City or Town: Newcastle (OKC)
State or Province: Oklahoma

Post by muehlberg »

I used Dan's method whenever I need to bleed brake lines. The only difference, I've started using a small/medium sized syringe with a short plastic hose to connect it to the bleed valve. Once bleed, the brake on the Panther work very well.

Eric Muehlberg
Panther LS, S/N 011, N11PX

MyronNCallaham
First Name: Myron
Last Name: Callaham
City or Town: Bowling Green
State or Province: Kentucky

Post by MyronNCallaham »

I used Dan’s method. Worked great. Didn’t have the squirt can, so bought a$7 small pump up sprayer at Lowe’s. Worked great. Have loaned to friends who have used it on multiple systems with good results. Pressure from bottom of system vs vacuum is the trick.

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Keith
I would suggest not using the Vacuum bleeder. It will tend to draw air into the system typically around the bleeder fitting. Pressure bleed from the bottom. We use a trigger type oil "squirt can" with a hose attached. Open the bleeder at least half a turn. and fill system. The small 1/8th inch lines supplied with the Matcos bleeds really easily. usually by the time we have the fluid up the line to the reservoir the system is perfectly bleed.

Dan
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

1/2" or less is what I feel in both. Seems like you definitely have air in the lines. Are you using the 1/8" or 1/4" lines?

I used a HYDRAULIC BRAKE BLEEDER TANK from AS.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... 20Products

If you choose to use this tool, you will most likely have to change out the bleeder valves to match the angle of the fitting on the tool. I got some from the Auto store and really made a mess. With the right bleeder valves, this tool turns this awful task into "child's play" and no vacuum is needed, unless you need to evacuate the lines. I think the bleeder valves that AS sells will work and I got them after making the mess, and have not checked them out yet.
PantherBuilder.org

bluesflyer
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Ward
City or Town: Kennesaw
State or Province: Georgia

Post by bluesflyer »

I’m working on this right now and my right pedal moves less than a 1/2” and is very firm. My left pedal has been a challenge and moves over an inch and still feels soft. I tried rebuilding the left master cylinder after seeing some bubbles coming out of the area where the shaft moves in and out of the body. The rebuild eliminated the bubbles, but the pedal is still soft. I’m using a good pump to push the fluid from the bottom and a vacuum at the top. I’m going to try a better vacuum system so that I can move more fluid through to see if that clears the system of air bubbles.

Viking
First Name: Ragnar
Last Name: Ingason
City or Town: Wheelersburg
State or Province: Ohio

Matco brake pedal travel

Post by Viking »

How much travel are you guys getting with your brake pedals?
Last edited by Viking on Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ragnar Ingason
Ohio(KPMH)
Panther Sport S/N 50, Titan340, Whirlwind CS prop.