Sport rear spar

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
MikeS.
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Smith
City or Town: Tuscaloosa
State or Province: AL

Re: Sport rear spar

Post by MikeS. »

Thanks Dan, No 6 & 7 answered my questions. I’ll look for the PDF on the website.

Thanks Barry, I overlooked the builders website info. I’ve been away for a while so I need to go through each SPA link and see what I’ve been missing.

Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Post by Barry »

MikeS. wrote:Barry,
Please post the link to your builder website. I have a few questions about the Sport wing build that might get answered by viewing your pictures. Thanks.
Mike
Mike, just go to the builder website section on this forum, that is where my pictures are.
Panther Sport #95

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Builders
Im adding this info here so its part of forum.
The differences between Sport (short wing) and LS (long wing) build
(BM = Builder Manual)
1. Front spar is same as LS ,builder will shorten 1 "bay" = 12" off outboard end and trim so the look like existing LS spars ends.
2. Rear Spar Channels are same as LS , builder will trim 1 "bay"= 12" off outboard end and add the aileron balance weight arm cutout. We recommend rough cutting then clecoing the "scrap" channel the "new last rib holes and using it as a template to mark for final trimming and hole cutout.
3. Shorter Sport specific outboard upper, lower and Leading edges skins are supplied at the correct length. These install exactly per BM for the LS skins.
4. Install the aileron hinge half on rear spar exactly like shown in BM for LS
5. Install flap hinge half on rear spar exactly like BM shows for LS (this hinge will be 12" shorter on inboard end)
6. Sport specific aileron skins are supplied. These have the aileron control arms mover 12" out board (vs the LS ailerons)all other parts same ,including hinge and mounting. Relocated control arm ribs will be apparent and things can only go together one way.
6 flap will be trimmed 12" shorter on Inboard end. We have a PDF of this. hinge mounts per BM for LS flaps.

Everything else is identical to LS version that is shown in the BM
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

MikeS.
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Smith
City or Town: Tuscaloosa
State or Province: AL

Post by MikeS. »

Barry,
Please post the link to your builder website. I have a few questions about the Sport wing build that might get answered by viewing your pictures. Thanks.
Mike

colin
First Name: colin
Last Name: dyke
City or Town: New Dublin
State or Province: Ontario

Post by colin »

Thanks Dan and Barry for getting back to me. I got it thanks :D

Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Post by Barry »

Colin,

Feel free to look at my builder website, you will find pictures of how I cut my spars and cut the holes for the Sport wing. No big deal to do. I was also a bit apprehensive about the cutting :))

Barry
Panther Sport #95

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Colin
I copied and pasted my response to your ticket from earlier this morning. This will get the information on the forum also for future builders
Colin
Attached is the PDF for trimming the flap skin. Otherwise it mounts per the BM for the long wing.
on the rear spar it will get trimmed 12" and the hole cut out. I suggest cutting about 10 inches off and clecoing the cut of part into the new "last rib holes (one bay shorter than the untrimmed spar) and use a template for trimming the spar and the aileron counter weight cutout.
The ailerons are self explanatory and the only other real difference is the flaps being trimmed shorter on the inboard end.

Dan
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

colin
First Name: colin
Last Name: dyke
City or Town: New Dublin
State or Province: Ontario

Sport rear spar

Post by colin »

When you shorten the main rear spar for the sport version cutting the 12" off the outboard end do you have to replicate the rectangular cur out that is part of the LSA version?

Thanks
?