Sport vs LSA???

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Re: Sport vs LSA???

Post by fwellman@att.net »

As long as we're on the subject of LSA vs sport, I have a hypothetical question...
As Paul mentioned the primary difference between the LSA and sport is the wing size. The wing is longer on the LSA version to slow the stall speed to LSA standards. However, as also stated,all speeds are approximate and can vary from plane to plane. My question is, hypothetically, due to variances in building methods and techniques, is it possible that a builder might be fortunate enough to build a long wing Panther that could carry slightly over the advertized 1115 gross and still make the light sport stall speed? Or is the 1115 max gross weight for the long wing specified for some other reason, such as wing loading etc.?

robsagan
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Sagan
City or Town: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA

Post by robsagan »

Oh ok, that clears it up. I have a first class medical so I doubt I'll be going the LSA route.

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

You can fly either variety at the same gross weight. The difference comes from how you want to fly it. The FAA has the LSA category, where you dont need a medical. They have a lower stall speed requirement, and that means less gross weight to meet it with the Panther design.

If you have a valid medical, no difference in weight requirements.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

robsagan

Post by robsagan »

So if I went with the sport category or sport wing does that mean I could fly the plane at a higher weight? Sorry if these are dumb questions. Just want to keep everything safe and legal

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

The only difference between the Sport and LSA Panther is the wing size. The LSA is 2 ft longer wingspan total. The larger wing will climb better, and have a slightly lower stall speed. To account for shorter wing, the sport wing has smaller flaps. The sport version can roll a bit faster.

There are more in depth performance explanations elsewhere on the forum.

An O-320 can be used on either version.

If you want to fly it in the LSA category, an O-320 would be heavy. A O-320 power Panther is going to be 830 -850 lbs empty. Max gross weight to meet the LSA category stall speed requirements is 1150 lbs. With 190 lb pilot, you would not be legal to fly with full fuel.

If you don't care about LSA category, then you have more gross weight allowed.

Smaller engines Corvair, O-235, Jabiru and such will give you about 170MPH top speed and about 1000-1200 FPM climb with the LSA wing.
O-320 powered Panther LSA wing is about 190 mph top speed and about 1900 fpm
O-340 powered Panther LSA wing is about 190 mph top speed and about 2700 fpm

The above numbers are approximate and can vary
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

robsagan

Sport vs LSA???

Post by robsagan »

I’m new to the experimental aircraft world, so this might be a dumb question, but what is the difference between a sport and LSA Panther?

I know that LSA has a larger wing, slower speed requirement, and weight. What are some of the other differences?

I’m just starting on my build but already looking at engine options. I’m considering a freshly overhauled stock carbureted 0-320 Lycoming.I’m around 190lbs and like flying gentleman’s aerobatics.

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.