First flight report

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
jamesmil
First Name: jimmy
Last Name: miller
City or Town: wilmington
State or Province: nc

Re: First flight report

Post by jamesmil »

Hi Steve, I built the sport wing for a faster roll rate and used a 0-320 150 hp with a Catto 3 blade prop,
While I'm on the forum there is a Piper 140 for sale on the field with a 0-320 that been up graded to to 160 hp and less then
300 hr smo. I am helping the family sale the plane as the owner has passed away. The saleing price is 7500. Anyone interested can pm, me for all the details. Thanks

blueisthenewblack
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Leverett
City or Town: Ann Arbor
State or Province: MI

Post by blueisthenewblack »

Congrats!! What wing length/engine/prop combo did you go with?

Lowrider
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Dickey
City or Town: Sandpoint
State or Province: ID

Post by Lowrider »

Congrats Jimmy on a good report on what must be a great airplane!! Keep her rolling!!

jamesmil

Post by jamesmil »

Thanks Les, I'm sure your going to enjoy it. I have so far

LesBoatright
First Name: Les
Last Name: Boatright
City or Town: Titusville
State or Province: FL

Post by LesBoatright »

Congratulations!!! Well done and Very Nice Report. Very encouraging to the rest of us builders who haven't flown a Panther yet to see how it handles.

Our 3-man team of Panther partners is not far behind you. Our FAA inspection is just a little over a week away.
Kindest Regards,
Les Boatright
Co-Builder
Panther SN-083
Titusville, FL

jamesmil

First flight report

Post by jamesmil »

Hello all, as I set on my couch unable to fly the Panther 1 because of weather and 2 because I have the carb off to rejet and replace the seal on the spray pump shaft I would like to give my impression on how the Panther flies. After getting it signed off on 8/15 I spent the afternoon going back over it one last time and putting it back together. The next morning the weather was perfect so I pushed her out warmed it up taxied to the end of the runway, did a good run up and took off.
This is my fourth first flight on airplanes that I have built and like the rest I had gone over what I would do if I had a problem at different stages of the flight.
As I started the take off roll the tail came up very quickly with just a touch of forward stick and it tracked down the run way great with just a little right rudder. I can't tell you it what speed the lift off came as I let the airplane tell me when it's ready to fly. I climbed to 1500' and stopped as we under ILM's control above 1700. Let me say that I had a smile on my face as the Panther was so good and the controls are so light. First impressions on the control reminds me of the RV 7 in roll and the extra 200 in pitch, love it. After 30 minutes I landed to check everything out and found all good so I buttoned it up and flew over to SUT for lunch with friends and show off the Panther.
I did three 30 min, flights the first day and each one was better then the last. On the last 30 min, flight I had to see how it rolled and looped I was not disappointed. I started a left roll at 140 kt, indicated by picking the nose up about 10 degrees and stick all the way to the left , it needed no rudder input until the last 90 degrees of the roll, put in left rudder and stoped with the nose on point. After a few more rolls it was time for a loop,I pulled a little hard as it is very lite in pitch but was no problem to correct on the up line. It flew across the top beautifuly. Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to say how happy and impressed I'm with this airplane. Thanks to Rachel and Dan for a great kit and a great flying airplane.