Corvair 3.0 vs 3.3

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
matthunter1448
First Name: matthew
Last Name: wiechman
City or Town: spanaway
State or Province: wa

Re: Corvair 3.0 vs 3.3

Post by matthunter1448 »

Dan, thank you. That did answer my question. I have no intention on skimping on the corvair for a panel. I'm have done lots of research and have chosen this to be my best choice for me. I guess my main question was performance differences in the two on the panther. Most of the performance differences between the two are not really to be found many places. Thanks again Dan

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Re: Corvair 3.0 vs 3.3

Post by danweseman »

Matt
The 3.3 definitely offers more performance than a 3.0 It is most noticeable in take off and climb (and Dog fights :D ). Its certainly not a earth shattering difference , maybe adds about 150 FPM rate of climb and cruise is about 5 mph faster if we choose to use the same % power. I dont know of any Panther builder that was dissatisfied with 3.0L performance who would have be satisfied with 3.3L power. They likely would want a entirely different power class (160 hp 0-320) The cost difference depends on if you want a billet crank or are fine with using a stock GM crank. When we released the 3.3L sales of stock stroke new cranks dropped off to the point where we currently do not make the stock stroke billet cranks at this time. (If demand increase we will offer them again but dont know when /if that will happen.)

As a side note based on some trends I have watched over the last 18 years of being involved with Corvairs. I noticed your comment about spending money on the panel vs engine. Its all trade offs , but many times I have watched builders choose a Corvair due to economics ,so they can spend more of the available budget on the panel or paint etc. These guys tend to be the ones least happy with the Corvair experience. To build a really good Corvair is not a "cheap" option any more for alot of reasons.I mention this because I really want our builders to be successful and happy with the end product. The builder who is really into the Corvair program in itself for whatever reason, seems to be much happier than the builder who chooses it on economics.I would rather see a builder install a mid time O-235 (which certainly has it own benefits outside of cost) for 10K and install the the panel/paint etc he really wants, than make Corvair decisions based on economics. This is a general thought not specifically aimed at you Matt , but one that i discuss with many builders ,and potential Corvair builders.
Hope this helps some
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

matthunter1448
First Name: matthew
Last Name: wiechman
City or Town: spanaway
State or Province: wa

Corvair 3.0 vs 3.3

Post by matthunter1448 »

Looking for a bit of incite. Dan would be perfect to answer this. I"m in the process of about to rebuild my corvair and either upgrade to the 3.0l or the 3.3l. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money to really go to the 3.3l. If it doesn't really make a huge difference in the panther, I honestly don't see the point spending that extra money. I would rather spend that on a panel. But if it is worth the price i'm willing to spend it. I guess my point is i'm just looking for others feedback.