Magnetometer

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rv10builder
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Sutherland
City or Town: Arrington
State or Province: TN

Re: Magnetometer

Post by rv10builder »

I did as Dan suggested and mounted the GRT magnetometer to the top of the elevator tube cover in the baggage area. That being said, I’ve got a wiring issue or bad unit preventing operation. Wanting to get the inspection completed my DAR suggested a quick visit to the corner auto store and grab a $5 suction cup wet compass and stick it to the canopy. I removed the remote magnetometer and 40 hours later haven’t missed it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther Sport S/N 087, O-320-B2B (160HP), Catto 3-Blade, GRT Mini, flying 100+ hours
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Re: Magnetometer

Post by danweseman »

Fred
We simply mounted it to the top of the elevator tube cover in the baggage area. On Paul's plane he mounted it on the right side of the cover. You can see a picture of this and a note about it in the BM
Under final assembly, then baggage compartment closure panels. Both work great.
Per Far 91.205 you need "magnetic direction indicator" . this can be wet type or your EFIS as long as it is displaying magnetic information ( not GPS for example) . The GRT will give you GPS heading without the Magnetometer. It will not be able to compute winds aloft without the magnetometer though. If you are going to have a "wet" compass and don't care about winds aloft then skip the magnetometer. If you are not installing a wet compass then you will need to install the magnetometer.
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Magnetometer

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Hello all,

I am wondering how many of you purchased the optional magnetomer with their GRT efis, and where you installed it. My wings are together and mounting it on the wingtip now, would leave the wiring unsecured inside the wing. I am contemplating putting a shelf behind the seat, attached to one of the longerons. Has any mounted theirs in a similar spot, and how well did it work? Also if you did not purchase the magnetometer, are you satisfied with the efis performance without it?

Thanks
Fred ok